Listen to the Episode:
Welcome to Episode 40 of the RetroWDW Podcast: "Skyway & Swan Boats" - We appreciate your support and hope you have been enjoying each and every episode. Be sure to check out some of our previous shows.
Corrections & Listener Mail
First off, we got a note about The Dutch Inn, with the "Sleepy Bear" - he would greet you as you entered the hotel. Very neat little tip about that chain of hotels. Another listener wrote in about the Vistana resort and how they were the first timeshare you could get into. We got lots of great memories related to Hotel Plaza Boulevard.
Eric Jacobson wrote in about an article from 1985, regarding the EPCOT Center Polls. We go through some of the information related to this vintage poll from EPCOT and it also led write to a letter from Dan.
- Dan wrote in, a former cast member, about how he was "The Person of the Century". Basically, Dan messed this all up for Disney and he would tell people all day to "Vote For Dan". This led to a mysterious closure of this area, which we are guessing was due to our listener Dan. Such a great story, thanks for sharing!
- Next up, we heard from Christopher. He recently visited Fort Wilderness and sent us a picture of the original River Country Restroom sign. Such a cool gem that is leftover back there.
- Elizabeth wrote in regarding the third floor of The Contemporary Resort and the compressed floor. We discuss what we know regarding this, but we'd love to hear from some others. Such an interesting topic....
- Reese touched base about a guard on Tom Sawyer's Island. She wanted some more information about this fort guard, which How is happy to offer.
- John wrote in with some artifacts, books, scans and lots of good stuff for us to share. Thanks!
- Finally, we had numerous listeners ask for the full radio loop from WDW. This will be coming soon and we have a plan, don't worry!
Thank you for all the emails, tweets and comments you have sent our way. We try to respond to almost everything and do our best to pick unique questions for the show.
Questions, Comments & Concerns
We love feedback and hearing your memories!
Our audio rewind this month turned out to be the music from Horizons! The winner is Kevin Hitchcock, winning the Giant WDW Pencil. Great job and thanks for playing along to everybody!
If you think you know the answer to this month's audio rewind, email us! email@example.com - This month the winner will win the book "Mouse Tales".
All entries due 6/11/2018 and a random winner will be selected. Even if you don't win, you will gain an entry into the Early 2018 Prize Pot!
We are back with a new Prize Pot for 2018! Once again, we will be putting together tons of gifts & random items for our January - June 2018 Prize Pot. Every guess for our audio rewind each month gets you an entry for the Prize Pot. For the best odds of winning, be sure to take a guess every month, even if you do not know. Best of luck and here is what we have so far:
2018 Prize Pot #1
- EPCOT Poster Set
- RetroWDW Logo Embroidered Hat
- McFarkle Family Christmas Card created by our fan, Reese
- EPCOT Center Coin / Medallion
- Mickey Earforce One Balloon Pin
- Set of Retro Disney Pennants
- Turning Dreams into Reality - Autographed by Bob Gurr!
This will be given away next episode, so be sure to get your entry in before the big drawing!!
Brian starts us off with the Skyways, another attraction that is no longer around. We do a little bit of Disneyland history along with Skyway history in general. This episode takes you for a ride on the Skyway through our unique perspectives and memories. Most of us have ridden this one, so the picture we paint and the mechanical end of things we go into is quite detailed. Hope you enjoy!
Plaza Swan Boats
This is an interesting one, because none of us have ridden this one. Todd shares an interesting memory how his family used to love the Swan Boats and were super disappointed when it closed. How could have possibly ridden it, but we really don't know for sure. We go into the build history, mechanics, and of course what the ride consisted of. The Swan Boats have such a unique and almost lost history, there isn't much out there. When you look at the path of the boats though, it was a neat and relaxing attraction that I'm sure lots of our listeners would have enjoyed.
Plaza Swan Boats Spiel
Plaza Swan Boats Route
Plaza Swan Boats Gallery
More Plaza Swan Boats Videos:
- Swan Boats and Adventureland Steel Drum Band in ’75 Style
- Remastered 1976 Magic Kingdom Swan Boats and More – Restored Film
Be sure to get your shirt, iPhone case, tote bag, pillow or coffee mug today: www.retrowdw.com/supportus
Some of Our Latest Designs
- Join us next month as we discuss the Fort Wilderness Railroad in Episode 41!