The Lake Buena Vista Historical Society cordially invites you to
- RetroMagic 50 Celebration and Luncheon (Sunday April 24th) – A day-long event at the Contemporary Resort* marking the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World. Join us as we enjoy the “blessings of size” in the Fantasia Ballroom for:
- Panels and stories from Disney Legends, Imagineers, Cast Members and other notables
- A luncheon buffet featuring selections from Walt Disney World’s culinary history
- Visit our “Lake Buena Vista Village” area at the event featuring:
- Rare artifacts, souvenirs and photos on display
- Unique documents and memorabilia from the collection of Ted Linhart of DisneyDocs.net
- Meet & Greet our VIP guests
- Special Photo Opportunities
**List Incomplete At This Time
About Our VIPs
- Bob Gurr is a Disney Legend who will participate in a session where attendees get to ask the questions about his time designing some of the most iconic attractions and transportation solutions at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Norm Inouye was a Disney Imagineer whose career included designing the pavilion logos for EPCOT Center and some other theme park icons that will astonish you. Norm is also one of the designers of the Pontiac Trans-Am “screaming chicken” art for General Motors.
- Peggie Farris is a retired Disney Imagineer whose career spanned five decades playing key roles in Walt Disney World’s earliest pre-opening days and culminating as the lead Imagineer at Disneyland Paris before her retirement with stops at all the theme parks in between. Peggie graciously recorded an interview with us for RetroMagic 2019 about her work on the development of the Handwich. Peggie will be one of the featured subjects of the forthcoming 2022 book on Women in Imagineering.
- Tom Nabbe is a Disney Legend who worked at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World in their infancy. His career spanned over 40 years and his appearances are always a fan favorite.
- Jerry Rees is a one-man creative force whose work on Disney theme park attractions includes Sounds Dangerous at Disney-MGM Studios, the live-action sequences of Cranium Command at EPCOT, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! at Disney-MGM Studios, Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster at Disney-MGM Studios, and Walt Disney Studios Paris, Extra-Terrorestrial Alien Encounter at Magic Kingdom, Michael & Mickey at Disney-MGM Studios and he directed the pre-ride film at Disney’s Animal Kingdom ride Dinosaur.
- Marcy Carriker Smothers is an author known for her works including Eat Like Walt about Walt Disney’s favorite foods and recipes including many that made it to Walt Disney World. Her just-published book “Walt’s Disneyland” was newly released by Disney Editions.
- Jim Sarno returns to RetroMagic to share more stories from his time at Imagineering working on EPCOT Center and to tell about his special friendship with Disney Legend Harriet Burns as part of our event’s focus on Women in Imagineering.
- Julie Svendsen is an artist whose contributions to Walt Disney World include work on Innoventions 94, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Wonders of Life to name just a few. Her father was a Disney artist for decades whose work included contributions to Peter Pan and the Aristocats. Julie worked closely with some of the legendary artists in Imagineering and is one of the featured subjects on the forthcoming 2022 book on Women in Imagineering.
- Dave Vermeulen held leadership positions at every Disney theme park over his 48-year career. After joining the Walt Disney Company in 1965 at Disneyland his career included a variety of assignments in Food & Beverage, Resorts, Park Operations, and Special Events along with extensive experience in planning and preparing Park and Resort openings. Dave also was part of the team responsible for bringing the Handwich to Walt Disney World food and beverage locations.
- Chef Reimund Pitz spent two decades with Walt Disney World during which time he helped the first Disney team to 14 medals at the Culinary Olympics in Switzerland. He was the Executive Chef who opened Disney-MGM Studios and held key positions in the other Florida parks and resorts during his long career. He is the present owner-operator of Le Coq Au Vin in Orlando.
- Chef Keith Keogh unknowingly played a role in our 2019 RetroMagic event when we featured a video of him from 1995 explaining what a Handwich was on and episode “WDW Inside Out”. He was the team captain of the 1987 Culinary Olympics team and served as Executive Chef at EPCOT Center at the time.
- Tammy Tuckey hosts the Tiara Talk Show podcast and returns to RetroMagic to lend her hosting and entertainment skills to our event.
- RetroMagic Celebration (Sunday, April 24th) – Tickets on sale now!
- General Admission – $125 per person
- Gold Key Preferred Seating – $200 per person (limited number of designated seats close to the stage in the front part of the room)
- Gold Key Private Table – $2000 (a reserved table for 10 guests closest to the stage in the front 2 rows)
Tickets do NOT include admission to any Walt Disney World Theme Park, parking or other Disney imposed fees/charges. All ticket purchases are final; refunds will only be provided if the entire event is canceled. RetroWDW reserves the right to change venues and modify the plans to as required by Disney Event Services. This is a private event that is not affiliated with The Walt Disney Company, Walt Disney World or D23.
*In the event Walt Disney World has protocols in place that would negatively impact the event we reserve the right to relocate to a nearby venue with ample notice to attendees.
We are pleased to offer a limited number of discounted rooms the weekend of our event through our partner Ashley Suit with Believe Vacations. You can book these rates directly by emailing email@example.com
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort – Standard Room $291.60/nt, Gran Destino Tower $406.00/nt
- Disney’s All Star Music Resort – $196.20/nt
Merchandise: T-shirts and more are available at www.retrowdw.com/supportus
Proceeds of this event benefit the Lake Buena Vista Historical Society. Event Sponsorships welcome; Interesting service trades will be considered, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Notice: Filming, photography, and other recordings will take place at this event. By attending, you consent to and authorize RetroWDW and LBVHS to record you via audio, video or the similar to be used for distribution on our website.