Listen to the Episode:
Welcome to Episode 85 of the RetroWDW Podcast: Mickey Mouse Revue – We appreciate your support and hope you have been enjoying each and every episode. Be sure to check out some of our previous shows from over the years. We have visited multiple parks, resorts, and just about everything else in between.
We open the mailbag monthly and are ready to hear from you. Be sure to reach out with questions, stories, memories, and more. You never know if your letter will be read on a future episode: email@example.com
- The first letter we have is all about EPCOT Center and the original satellite dishes. Julian wants to know if these were real and functioning, so we dig into old dishes and what EPCOT used them for. This is probably way more than you asked for, but we get right into it.
- Ross wrote us about the original Figment Meet and Greet. We discuss the late 2000s version of this character encounter and give you a little history on how long this lasted.
- We heard back from Jason, who previously spoke to us about spotting himself in an old pictorial souvenir booklet. He has some memories to share with us which are a blast to hear.
- Ken is up next, writing us about the spacers on Spaceship Earth. Ken is an ex-employee of the ride and gave us some insight into how the ride worked. We dig into this early EPCOT attraction and how it used to work, comparing it to others.
- Our last piece of mail from Andrew and he brings up cooking in his DVC room. As you might recall, we asked about elaborate meals that the commercials would show and who has done something like this. This was great, thanks Andrew!
We take you back to an attraction and for our fans that wanted us to go way back, we are going way back. The Mickey Mouse Revue which opened October 1, 1971 last about nine years closing in the fall of 1980. How is leading us this month which only means one thing: we are going super deep into this topic. He begins by going over the homophone of Revue vs. Review and also how little is out there on the Mickey Mouse Revue. This attraction was located where the current Mickey’s PhilharMagic is playing each day, so you can get a feeling as to how this played and where it was in the 70s.
Throughout this episode, we walk you through the history and how the show plays out from start to finish. We recommend you watch the following video, just so you can get a visual of this attraction. How also gets us into how the attraction felt, which I appreciated very much because many of us have not seen this one in person. The voice of Mickey is discussed from this episode and it is not one of the better versions… This quirky and unique show has lots of small details and stories that really make it unique. As we dig into the history of this one you are really going to be blown away as to how this whole thing played out. Finally, we get into what happened after the doors closed in 1980 and where the entire thing ended up, with some recent updates! We hope you enjoy this look back at this unique attraction.
RetroMagic has officially sold out and we are plugging away at final details. If you are attending or even sitting this one out, take a minute to view the resource guide for the event. We filled it with past episodes, videos, information about our guests, and more. Be sure to take it all in so you are ready for this amazing weekend. RetroMagic Resource Guide
RetroWDW Film Archive
To make sure you are the first to know when items are released, subscribe to us on YouTube. Be sure to click the notification bell too, that way you are alerted when we post. Finally, be sure to check out Vimeo if that is your thing, as we will post there as well.
Be sure to get your shirt, iPhone case, tote bag, pillow or coffee mug today: www.retrowdw.com/supportus
Some of Our Latest Designs
- Join us next time for another amazing episode of the RetroWDW Podcast!
- Read for another movie night? Subscribe on YouTube & hit that notification bell so you are ready.
- Check out SpectroRadio for all their WDW music, including Throwback Thursday at 9am.
- Click Here to donate to the Lake Buena Vista Historical Society and join us on a future episode!
- Get your LBVHS Magic Band Skin from Magic Your Band.