Listen to the Episode:
Welcome to Episode 60 of the RetroWDW Podcast: “Tomorrowland ’94” – We appreciate your support and hope you have been enjoying each and every episode. Be sure to check out some of our previous shows! While you are listening, please browse through our entire album of ephemera. We have tons in there and if you click this link, be ready for an adventure that could take up an entire evening. Also, let us know if you have any images you would like to add to this collection, as we are working to make it very comprehensive.
Comments & Corrections
Last month we had the great food and menu episode and the response was great. Thanks for all the feedback and items shared relating to food stories, menus, and anything else. It sure was fun to sift through and see how much everybody enjoyed it!
- Huge thank you for all the ephemera that was sent in. We got tons of great items and this will all be added to the site soon. Your time and effort is appreciated!
- Our good friend @bioreconstruct let us know about an add-on for a 43″ monitor he found on Amazon that has the old school infrared beams. He also found it being used in Imageworks inside Epcot.
- A friend of the show, Joe called in to discuss Disney Dollars – this is a great story! Thanks Joe!
- Turnstiles came up during the last episode and where they are still located. Joe Barlow wrote in with instructions on how to lock them and he also issues an apology.
Right to the mailbag this month! The bag is full and we love that! Every month, you can possibly get on the show, so be sure to write to us at email@example.com.
- Carla wrote in regarding the turnstiles and where they are still located – thanks Carla!
- Miranda, AJ, and Joe – You three are featured in the listener mail section with some solid ephemera. We discuss this during the show and they are super cool so I had to put them up high for everybody to see. Thank you and enjoy!
- Eric wrote in the same day as the show and his librarian and archival skills are insane! We are all super jealous and need you to come to organize ours! Take a look..
- We had a favor to ask for this episode regarding Birnbaum’s – Joe Siler was among many others that reached out to us with some solid scans. Thanks Joe, we appreciate your help!
Listener Ephemera Gallery
Questions, Comments & Concerns
We love feedback and hearing your memories!
Our audio rewind this month is from Muppet Vision 3D – Thank you for all the guesses and emails! How gives us a little bonus, telling you all about the extended queue at muppet Vision.
We have a winner! Congratulations Natalie B! – you will be getting a bunch of great Ephemera! – hope you enjoy!
If you think you know the answer to this month’s audio rewind, email us! firstname.lastname@example.org – This month, the winner will be getting a party package! All entries are due 9/7/2020 and a random winner will be selected.
For this month, we are discussing a major overhaul of a land at the Magic Kingdom. Many of the lands have slowly evolved and changed, but Tomorrowland had a major change with nearly everything being touched in 1994. Brian & How start us off at Disneyland in 1983 with the expansion of Fantasyland – bringing comparisons to our main topic. All of these major refurbs work towards making the park appealing to a new audience – which is why the funds were sent to the Magic Kingdom and Tomorrowland. We are basing this episode off a major press release which we just acquired.
As we work through our initial discussions about Tomorrowland, our FIRST podcast episode is brought up, and I guess way back when we discuss early Tomorrowland – if you are brave and want to hear our early stuff, here you go: Episode One-Planning for Tomorrow.
So we basically learn that in the late 80s and early 90s, Disney concludes that you can’t build a land that needs to be updated every other year, especially when you call it Tomorrowland. EPCOT ran into this problem a bit and the original Tomorrowland just had so much trouble keeping up with technology. This overview episode of the entire land covers nearly everything from design and lighting to ride updates and add-ons. The signage is discussed, as this was one highlight for some of the guests. We also get into sponsorship changes and how this land impacted each of us, as I’m sure you will pick a side on if you really liked this update or not. At one point in this episode, we discuss The Timekeeper, which we did an entire episode on – click here. The new arcade that was installed right next to Space Mountain was massive. It has many games, prizes, and just a fun, Tomorrowland arcade feel. We hit a bit on the Penny Arcade, which we discuss in Episode 47 of the podcast – check it out. We spend considerable time discussing the infamous Kugel Ball, or germ ball as Todd calls it. These are more common than you think and this one has gone through some changes. It seems like there wasn’t a ride or attraction that was left alone and this includes The Carousel of Progress. We go through some of the changes that made this what it is today.
Throughout the episode, we have some great sound drops and audio clips. That 90s Tomorrowland background loop makes this one fun to listen to overall. We hope you have fun going back to the mid-90s and we want to know – what is your favorite memory of this ‘new’ land at Magic Kingdom? Send us a message and tell us! Enjoy!
Episode 60 Shownotes Gallery
2020: The Year of Film
To make sure you are the first to know when items are released, subscribe to us on YouTube. Be sure to click the notification bell too, that way you are alerted when we post. Finally, be sure to check out Vimeo if that is your thing, as we will post there as well.
Be sure to get your shirt, iPhone case, tote bag, pillow or coffee mug today: www.retrowdw.com/supportus
Some of Our Latest Designs
- Join us next time for Episode 61, we are staying in Tomorrowland but taking you into Alien Encounter. It will be ExtraTERRORestrial!
- We have another movie night coming soon too… Subscribe on YouTube so you are ready.