Welcome to Episode 57 of the RetroWDW Podcast: “El Rio del Tiempo” – We appreciate your support and hope you have been enjoying each and every episode. Be sure to check out some of our previous shows!
Listen to the Episode:
Right to the mailbag this month! The bag is full and we love that! Every month, you can possibly get on the show, so be sure to write to us at email@example.com.
- Cory wrote in thanking us for doing the show and he has been binging the show. We love these – thank you so much Cory and we hope you enjoy our latest and greatest.
- Our next letter is from Steve and he wanted to discuss all things Sea World in California. This mini-history lesson was appreciated and we hope you get to Orlando soon.
- Scott has a question about film and movies. We get this question often, regarding ‘do you want my footage?’ – We always are interested in footage so please let us know what you have and we can discuss options.
- The next letter we received is from Abby. She shared with us the 2002 GE commercial that has the Horizons DNA sequence footage – very cool and thank you to everybody that shared this with us, including Abby! Take a look
- Michael sent us a note about the cast member ‘I have an idea’ program. Michael is possibly the original creator of the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater! This program is no longer around, but that is a great story and maybe somebody from WDW will confirm where they got the idea.
Questions, Comments & Concerns
We love feedback and hearing your memories!
Corrections & Comments
Did we make a mistake? Do you have a correction? Let us know!
- Brian goes into some more information on Hula Pie from Sea World and the Hawaiin Punch Village. If you love Hula Pie, take a listen!
Our audio rewind this month is Impressions de France – Thank you for all the guesses and emails!
We have a winner! Congratulations Steve Tanner! – you won the books from author Christopher Smith. These are great and you are going to love them.
If you think you know the answer to this month’s audio rewind, email us! firstname.lastname@example.org – This month, the winner will be getting a grab bag of random WDW ephemera and goodies – All entries due 5/19/2020 and a random winner will be selected.
Our good friend How takes the lead this episode and we can’t be more excited. You can always expect a deep dive into whatever it is he is discussing, which is always amazing. This episode we take you back to EPCOT Center and right into World Showcase. One of our favorite countries that was actually the only World Showcase ‘ride’ when the park opened. This attraction has stayed very similar to the opening day form with some minor updates, and we will get into those throughout this episode.
As we get into this one, we hear about who was in charge of the pavilion, where the inspiration is from, and even some of the early concept art. Speaking of art, the very talented people who were involved in this are discussed in detail and How gives us some of their personal history and past projects.
We go over the ride step by step, so make sure you take a look at some ride footage before or after you hit up this episode. Each scene is discussed in detail though and How even connects some of the original locations that inspired the ride design. This episode has me wanting to go ride this once more to look at all the hidden details and also to connect the history and real-world models. We hope you enjoy your ride on El Rio del Tiempo once more!
Mexico Pavilion Concept Art & Model Gallery
Mexico Pavilion Gallery
2020: The Year of Film
To make sure you are the first to know when items are released, subscribe to us on YouTube. Be sure to click the notification bell too, that way you are alerted when we post. Finally, be sure to check out Vimeo if that is your thing, as we will post there as well. This past month we have posted so many great ones including – 1992 WDW Information Channel, 1982 EPCOT Center w/Harold & Yvonne, and the hugely popular Easter Parade from 1992.
As a bonus, to accompany this episode we will be releasing two unseen rides of El Rio del Tiempo this Cinco de Mayo. Check our YouTube channel for those on 5/5/2020.
Be sure to get your shirt, iPhone case, tote bag, pillow or coffee mug today: www.retrowdw.com/supportus
Some of Our Latest Designs
- Join us next time for Episode 57, which we have not fully planned out, but you won’t want to miss it Thanks for joining us!