Listen to the Episode:
Welcome to Episode 38 of the RetroWDW Podcast: "Communicore East" - We appreciate your support and hope you have been enjoying each and every episode. Be sure to check out some of our previous shows.
Corrections & Listener Mail
Last month, we had the Polynesian series of episodes. Joe wrote in and gave us some recent luau info about what currently happens in the show. We're still searching for info about the puppets and various character appearances.
- Eric wrote in to discuss some of the early locations where WDW could have been. How & Brian discuss some various locations that Eric emailed us about, including some survey markers and WED markings. The secrecy of the planning came up, so we're not sure regarding those parts. How also discusses an early Welcome Center up north, which also includes an initiative about "Disney Rest Areas".
- Anderson, who is 11, wrote in to thank us for the podcast and to discuss how he is learning tons! We love having the younger listeners and hope you stick with us throughout all the history.
- Next up, Nate wrote us about the Salon/Barbershop at The Contemporary Resort. He brings up Grady and getting his haircut during breaks from work at WDW. Brian also confirms Grady and how the Polynesian used to have the salon as well. As far as we know, Grady's whereabouts are unknown...
- Nicholas D. wrote in regarding the music from Retro Food. Todd shared with us, he used a two hour mix on YouTube, called Retro Lounge Music: Lovely 70s. It worked very well for that episode.
- Dan P. recently discovered the show and also bought a Dreamfinder Airship Blimp Blueprint. How discusses the authenticity of this blueprint and the history of how this connects with Skyleidoscope. Brian & How also discuss gumdrops, rainbows and so on.... Figment was supposed to come out on the balloon from the blueprint Dan wrote us about. Very interesting stuff on this one, thanks Dan!
Thank you for all the emails, tweets and comments you have sent our way. We try to respond to almost everything and do our best to pick unique questions for the show.
Questions, Comments & Concerns
We love feedback and hearing your memories!
If you think you know the answer to this month's audio rewind, email us! firstname.lastname@example.org - This month the winner will win an EPCOT Center Kodak Disc wheel brochure!
All entries due 4/9/2018 and a random winner will be selected. Even if you don't win, you will gain an entry into the NEW PRIZE POT!
We are back with a new Prize Pot for 2018! Once again, we will be putting together tons of gifts & random items for our January - June 2018 Prize Pot. Every guess for our audio rewind each month gets you an entry for the Prize Pot. For the best odds of winning, be sure to take a guess every month, even if you do not know. Best of luck and here is what we have so far:
2018 Prize Pot #1
- EPCOT Poster Set
- RetroWDW Logo Embroidered Hat
- McFarkle Family Christmas Card created by our fan, Reese
- EPCOT Center Coin / Medallion
- Mickey Earforce One Balloon Pin
Todd & How take the lead this month, taking us back to EPCOT Center and more specifically, Communicore East! Todd starts off by questioning JT on what Communicore actually means. We go through the things that Communicore would actually do: have a conversation with a computer, contribute to polls with your opinion, see what a space shuttle is like and check travel destinations, just to name a few.
We discuss the original plans, a Wedway Peoplemover running along an outer edge and some other scrapped ideas. New technologies were sort of the push here, allowing companies both small and large to come and go with their latest and greatest. The open floor plan and easy to navigate area added to the feeling of the space you did not get with Innoventions.
Each attraction and area is discussed in detail during this episode. We learn about creating a wire frame roller coaster, the DARYL featured EPCOT computer system, SMRT-1 and tons more. How and Todd really remember this stuff and if you need help with your memory, check out our gallery. It is loaded with great stuff from some of our own trips and many more. Enjoy your journey through Communicore East!
See more of Communicore East in our Communicore East Gallery!
D.A.R.Y.L. Movie 1985 Computer Rooms Epcot Center
Support Your Local Museums
Brian discusses the early EPCOT feel and how you can still experience that at your local museums. Each of us bring up some different places we frequent in our areas. Dig into what is near you or take a look at what we have in our different states. Don't forget to share your favorites with us a well!
- McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center - Concord, NH
- Museum of Science - Boston, MA
- The Franklin Institute - Philadelphia, PA
- California Science Center - Los Angeles, CA
- Exploratorium - San Francisco, CA
- MOSI - Tampa, FL
- COSI - Columbus, OH
- The Christa McAuliffe Center - Farmingham, MA
- The Great Lakes Science Center - Cleveland, OH
- Orlando Science Center - Orlando, FL
Be sure to get your shirt, iPhone case, tote bag, pillow or coffee mug today: www.retrowdw.com/supportus
Some of Our Latest Designs
- Join us next month as we head to Hotel Plaza Boulevard! We discuss the concepts, when they were built and some of the extras that have been there. We will also be discussing the still standing, WDW Preview Center. We're super excited for you to join us!