Listen to the Episode:
Welcome to Episode 37 of the RetroWDW Podcast: “Polynesian Dreams – Part II” – We appreciate your support and hope you have been enjoying each and every episode. Be sure to check out some of our previous shows including the first part of this podcast: Retro WDW Podcast: Polynesian Dreams – Part I.
Corrections & Listener Mail
After some introductions, trip updates and welcomes, we get started with some corrections.
How offers up a minor correction on his pronunciation of Future Corps and adds a few details to our discussion from last month.
- Paul wrote in about Backstage Magic at EPCOT Center. This was a show located in Communicore East, near the Energy Exchange. We take you back to this attraction that showcased all of the computers running EPCOT back in the day. This show ran until Innoventions showed up and sounds like one you didn’t want to miss. The movie DARYL had a scene in this location as well, so check that out from 1985.
- Brent wrote in, who is the creative director of Super 78 and host of The Season Past Podcast. He wrote us as a fan, letting us know his crew is binge listening to the show. Check them out and thanks for listening Brent!
- Kurt DeFilipps sent us a great group of pics from the Polynesian – amazing folders, stationary ephemera and lots of other neat tidbits. We discuss some of the old services and options at the resorts. Check out our collection and send in your stuff! We also got a solid set of Contemporary ephemera from Mark Brieve. Big thanks to all our friends out there that let us share these memories with you.
Thank you for all the emails, tweets and comments you have sent our way. We try to respond to almost everything and do our best to pick unique questions for the show.
Questions, Comments & Concerns
We love feedback and hearing your memories!
Our audio rewind this month turned out to be the music from World of Motion! Todd gives us lots of the wrong answers (Danny Kaye), which were great guesses by our listeners. The winner is Daniel Smay, winning the 1975 copy of Eyes and Ears. Great job and thanks for the entries.
If you think you know the answer to this month’s audio rewind, email us! firstname.lastname@example.org – This month the winner will win an EPCOT Center Grand Opening Medal!
All entries due 3/12/2018 and a random winner will be selected. Even if you don’t win, you will gain an entry into the NEW PRIZE POT!
We are back with a new Prize Pot for 2018! Once again, we will be putting together tons of gifts & random items for our January – June 2018 Prize Pot. Every guess for our audio rewind each month gets you an entry for the Prize Pot. For the best odds of winning, be sure to take a guess every month, even if you do not know. Best of luck and here is what we have so far:
2018 Prize Pot #1
- EPCOT Poster Set
- RetroWDW Logo Embroidered Hat
- McFarkle Family Christmas Card created by our fan, Reese
- EPCOT Center Coin / Medallion
Once again, How is taking us to the Polynesian! We had such a huge listener turnout for Part I – big thanks to everybody who downloaded and listened. This episode focuses on post-construction, memories, resort services, entertainment and more.
How starts us off with a minor correction regarding the construction and the opening dates of each area, which is different than we all thought. The design of the resort is discussed along with the feel back then, when compared to the other resorts on property. Atmosphere plays a big part with this back in the 70s. Everything from the entrance walkway to the lobby are described in detail by How. The Vacation Wonderland restored film shows off how the original doors actually worked. Who doesn’t remember that lobby smell?
We also go into the sundries shop, barbershop and tons of other amazing features which are no longer present. How has pinpoint accuracy and even some on location scouting to locate these places. You really need to listen to this episode as you are walking around the Polynesian. The mental picture alone though is amazing and How does a great job taking you right back. The fire lighting ceremony was different back then too; learn all about how this has changed over the years. Finally, we get into the church services and how they changed over the years and how they actually worked, up until 2002.
How has done a great job with this series. We hope you enjoy it as much as we have had making it and putting all this together for you.
Links Mentioned In the Episode
- Our episode on the Electrical Water Pageant – Episode 8 – Legends & Legacies of Lakes & Lagoons
- Podcast Episode 30: Prime Time Specials Part 1 & The Magic of Walt Disney World
Two Families – 1973 Magic Kingdom Restored Footage
This month we release this 1973, beautifully restored film called “Two Families”. The beginning features some amazingly clear and color corrected footage of the tram waiting area and the parking lot tram itself. The orange is so glorious!
The film also includes some amazing shots of 20k Leagues, a monorail ride, The Contemporary Resort, and in park footage. The ending shows off an afternoon parade with extra large Mickey hats. The restoration on this one came out so nice, we hope you really enjoy it.
Be sure to get your shirt, iPhone case, tote bag, pillow or coffee mug today: www.retrowdw.com/supportus
Some of Our Latest Designs
- Join us next month as we head back to EPCOT Center and get into Communicore. Let us know if we should talk about East or West…